Home » Argumentative Assignment

Argumentative Assignment

When I looked over the argumentative assignment, I knew immediately that I wanted to write about the controversial hiring of Bryan Singer as the director of the upcoming Red Sonja film. I have known about the sexual assault allegations against Singer since the release of his film X-Men: Days of Future Past in the summer of 2014. Ever since I learned of his abhorrent behavior, I remained baffled every time he continued to get another directing gig culminating a couple years ago when he was hired, and eventually fired, as the director of Bohemian Rhapsody. In the midst of the #MeToo movement, seeing the film industry hold predatory men like Harvey Weinstein and Kevin Spacey accountable for their actions, Singer remained in his position of power due to the success of the Freddie Mercury biopic. 

Avi Lerner, the head of Millennium Films, chose to hire him for their newest action blockbuster, a spinoff of the Conan the Barbarian franchise that follows a female protagonist whom is a survivor of sexual assault. This was the last straw for me, leading to me unleashing unfiltered rage on my social media. It was around this time when this particular assignment came up and I chose this opportunity to organize my frustration into a formal piece that rebuttals the choice to hire Singer. I delved deep into the research I had already conducted throughout the past five years to form a substantiated argument to persuade the studio to reverse their decision. I wanted to make sure that my writing was not blinded by my anger while also doing justice to the stories of the survivors of Singer. A couple days after I turned in the assignment, emailed the letter to the studio and published it online, I read the news that Singer had been fired from the project.